If your laptop is cumbersome and slow, or it's getting long
in the tooth then take a look at a Chromebook instead.
You can buy a new Chromebook for around £200, see here.
If you need a hand setting it up, or getting used to it in Milton Keynes, please call me on 07986 124069.
Chromebooks are great for:
- Emails: Nice keyboard, so better than a tablet.
- Internet TV: You can use an HDMI cable to connect to your TV if you want a larger screen.
- Office work: You can use Google Docs or Microsoft Office Online.
- Schools: Because they are fast, cheap and very low maintenance.
- Streaming Music from, for instance, Google Play. You can attach headphones or speakers if you want.
- Streaming Videos from services such as BBC iPlayer. The good inbuilt speakers help and colours are vivid.
- Surf the internet safely with none of the malware that Windows users get.
- Usual website services like banking, shopping, online games, Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Video Calls: Using Skype or Google Hangouts.
- Battery life is very good, around 9 hours. I close the lid when not using and put the battery on charge a couple of times a week.
- Start Up: Is really fast. From off it takes six seconds or so, and you don't get caught with masses of updates like Windows.
- Simplicity: Turn on, log in and use in less than a minute.
- Weight: It is very light and portable.
What it's not so great at:
- Photo editing: You can use Pixlr but I reckon you need a bigger screen.
- Windows Software: You cannot run PC programs like Autodesk, Sage or World Of Warcraft. Keep a desktop for them.