PcFix: Typical PC Health and Security Check
- Event Log check and clear (eventvwr).
- Check date and time.
- Action Centre check (wscui.cpl).
- Microsoft Base Security Analyser (MBSA) if required.
- Device Manager Check (devmgmt.msc).
- Microsoft Disk checks: diskmgmt.msc and chkdsk.
- RAM test if needed (mdsched).
- RAM installed: Win7 2GB, Win8 3GB, Win10 4GB, or more.
- Hard disk space: Should not be over 80% full.
- Check correct Windows Service Pack installed (winver).
- Start up job check and disable
- Installed programs: Remove unnecessary or obsolete: e.g: Quicktime, Picasa, Safari, TeamViewer, Windows Live Mail
- Microsoft Disk clean with temporary file removal.
- Disk Defrag (if necessary).
- Disk Space check with TreeSize if required.
- Delete executables etc. from Downloads folder.
- Malware check and remove (Malwarebytes).
- Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) removal with adwcleaner.
- Visual Inspection: Check all leads secure.
- Manufacturer's hardware check (if required).
- Microsoft System File Check from elevated command prompt (sfc /scannow) if required.
- Windows Update Check.
- Browser(s) home, search and extensions checked. Reset if necessary.
- Browser(s): Uninstall if necessary after backing up bookmarks. Delete Appdata folder for browser. Use regedit to search for IE extension programs that persist, then reboot and reinstall.
- Browser(s): Delete cookies.
- Java version check.
- Adobe Flash version check if Firefox.
- Adobe Reader update if necessary via Ninite.
- Security: Firewall enabled and Remote Access disabled.
- Router Security if scammer has remotely accessed your PC.
- Antivirus update then quick and full scan. Use F-Secure if second test.
- Gaming Machines: Graphics driver update check.
- Sound System check: Speakers, Sub-Woofer and soundbar (mmsys.cpl, configure).
- Check that major software works: e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint or equivalents.
- Email check. Client POP and IMAP settings.
- Printing: Check both colour and black and white.
- Broadband speed test (fast.com).
- Desktop: Interior inspection and air-dust if necessary.
Errors: For general errors, e.g. devices not working, visit Microsoft
for automated fixes.
Find the Windows Version of a non-booting PC? Boot using a Linux Mint CD or Memory Stick and use Nemo (the Mint file manager) to open Windows/System32/license.rtf
If it does not show you the actual Windows Version, it means the system was running Windows 10.
Malware: If you still have a problem with malware after the above steps, or if one of the steps, like Malwarebytes, fails or loops forever, you might as well cut your
losses and go for a complete reinstall of Windows (after backing up your data). It is easy to waste time and money on virus and malware removal tools from major companies
that simply do not work. Windows 8 to 10 have System Refresh
which keeps your documents, photos etc. safe.
Windows 7 Login Profile Corrupt Error: Reboot and keep pressing F8 as your computer starts until you see the boot options menu. From there click on 'Safe Mode'.
From Safe Mode, restore your PC to a date a few days before the Profile Corrupt error occurred.
Windows 7 Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adaptor not working: Open regedit and navigate to:
In the right pane, right click Disabled Components and select edit. Set the DWord value to 0.
Restart your computer and check in Device Manager that the exclamation mark has gone.
Windows 8 Blank screen after login: Wait 5 minutes to see if it eventually completes the log in. If it fails, consider Refreshing your PC. This should resolve
the problem without affecting your data, though you will need to reinstall programs. Restart your computer and at the Login screen hold the shift key down and
click the shutdown button, then click Restart. A 'Choose an Option' screen will be displayed. Click 'Troubleshoot' and then 'Refresh your PC'.
Windows 8 Lenovo: Uninstall Browserguard to resolve problems with AOL desktop. It also triggers antivirus software so is best removed.
Windows 8 Lenovo: May have a BIOS vulnerability introduced by Lenovo. Remove it here.
We're open from 09:00 to 17:30 Monday to Friday. We are closed Christmas, New Year and Easter.
Telephone: 01908 317575 or 07986 124069
© PcFix, 2014.